How would you like to join forces with the 2019 national award winners for “Outstanding University and Business Collaboration for National Benefit” for a unique career-enhancing opportunity in marine science and environmental management?
James Cook University’s TropWATER and North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation (NQBP) are offering a one-of-a-kind opportunity for just two JCU undergraduate and honours students who are interested in pursuing a post-graduate career in marine science or postgraduate research.
What’s on offer
- A four-week industry-research placement with JCU and NQBP
- A bursary of $2,000 to help fund flights, and other costs required to undertake the internship
- Guidance from JCU and NQBP staff during a research and industry application experience over four weeks during the semester two and three breaks between November 2019 and February 2020.
The good stuff
Applicants will gain:
- Invaluable knowledge in field, laboratory, desktop and administrative skills within a research environment with the Seagrass and Coastal Ecology Group in Cairns and the Coastal Catchments and Water Quality Group in Townsville. These placements will take place over three weeks, with timing and location flexible depending on student location.
- A one-week placement with NQBP in Mackay
- Experience for a research and management career or a higher degree in marine biological sciences, as well as offering a unique opportunity to see how results of research are applied in management and operations within industry.
Who can apply:
You must be enrolled in either a second or third year undergraduate course or an honours program at James Cook University.
I’ve heard enough, how do I apply?
Applications close 25 October 2019. To apply, submit a cover letter (maximum one page) describing why you want to participate in the program and what skills you can bring to TropWATER and NQBP Attach your resume (maximum two pages), a copy of your academic transcript and two academic referees Students will be selected based on their academic credentials and application letters. Applicants will be notified of outcomes by 1 November 2019.
Submit your application to Dr Michael Rasheed email@example.com or
Dr Nathan Waltham firstname.lastname@example.org
More information: https://research.jcu.edu.au/tropwater/